Do you want to make something sweet for your husband (or wife)? Do your kids LOVE crafts as much as my kids and would love a project to make for a Christmas gift for their grandparents (or parents)? Do you need something that is SIMPLE?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, THIS IS THE PROJECT FOR YOU!!!!! All you need is the following:
1. white mug (I bought these from the Dollar Store)
2. sharpies….(READ: To keep it simple, use a black sharpie. When you bake it, the black sharpie comes out black. If you use ANY OTHER color sharpie, the colors will come out brown. You must use Sharpie paint oil-based markers or DecoArt glass paint markers if you want the REAL color to come out. Example: You want a red heart to be red. You must buy the sharpie oil based markers or decoart glass paint markers. You cannot use a plain red sharpie. It will come out brown after you
3. tape (optional): This is if you want to make decorative lines
1. decorate your mug and let the paint dry for a little while (at least twenty minutes)
2. Put mug in the oven while the oven is cold. This allows the mug to heat up along with the oven so that it won’t crack. Start your 30 minutes once the oven reaches 425. Also, once the 30 minutes are up, turn the oven off but leave the mug inside until the oven is cold. Again, this is so the mug won’t crack with any abrupt temperature changes. (from http://thecozyoldfarmhouse.blogspot.com/2013/10/diy-sharpie-mug-does-it-really-work.html)
My four kids did this craft at my in law’s house a few weekends ago. We did not realize that the regular sharpie colors would turn brown. Overall, the kids had a blast making them and they were soooooo easy to do!! We have used them several times at our house.
I was very proud of how the kid’s mugs turned out. Here are a few on the internet.