This is a question that I have asked myself many times..
For a nice dinner, is it cheaper to go out to eat?
The weather was beautiful today and Brad and I were trying to figure out what we were going to do. We decided that we would find a new recipe to cook. We both were in the mood for a good Indian curry meal so we found a Rachel Ray recipe that looked fairly simple. We thought about doing a lamb curry but quickly decided that lamb was too expensive and we would stick with chicken. We put Charlotte in the stroller and walked to Kroger to get our ingredients.
- For spicy rice:
- 1 teaspoon each coriander seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds
- 2 cups basmati rice, prepared according to package directions
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil, 3 turns of the pan
- 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast tenders, diced
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced, mild to extra spicy
- 1 to 2 inches fresh ginger root, minced or grated, mild to extra spicy
- 1 large yellow skinned onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 can chicken broth, about 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons curry paste, mild or hot
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup mincemeat
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Toppings and garnishes, mix and match:
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds or Spanish peanuts
- 1 cup prepared mango chutney
- 1 /4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
The Boston Globe had an article on this subject. http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2013/08/20/put-new-study-test-eating-out-cheaper-than-cooking-home/CytldzC97LORKpESA31RTI/story.html
The author read a study about a person that said it was cheaper to eat at the Outback for steak rather than cooking it at home. She wanted to check it out so she tried it out herself. Click on the link above to see what the results were.
In conclusion, I think that cooking at home is cheaper than going out to eat. I have a family of seven so even going to McDonalds can add up for us. If you want to try out a new recipe, you have to just accept that the initial costs will be more. Having an 18 month old makes cooking at home much more appealing for us these days.