Christa and I have had a lot of fun with our blog. We decided to start blogging about 8 months ago because we were so used to teaching and sharing stories. We have had so much fun coming up with topics, tips, and much more. We have even had tons of our wonderful friends guest blog!
I told Christa we should blog everyday so that we can be consistent. Along the way we tried to make our blog better (cuter design, better proofing, etc). We have used blogger from day one because it is free.
We both have had stuff going on in our personal lives that we haven’t put out over the internet. Things have been stressful at times and for this reason I started looking for something fun that we could do together and take our minds of off it. I started googling blog conferences with the hope of finding a fun trip where we could learn tips to help us make our blog better.
I was super excited to find SNAP, a blogging conference with around 500 attendees that would be held in Salt Lake City, Utah. We love Utah and felt the timing was perfect. We could fly to Salt Lake on Wednesday and come back on Saturday.
Did we have fun? Did we learn a lot? Did we meet amazing, inspirational people?
YES!!!! YES!!! YES!!!
We have so much to share! We will be sharing lots of things from our conference in our upcoming posts. The information we will share will benefit people who love crafting, blogging, throwing parties, people with small businesses, etc. You name it, we will blog about it!
Before we start blogging about these things, I wanted to share a few important lessons we learned from our fun adventure!
- We are very small fish in a very big sea! Many (or most) of the participants were professional bloggers. Everyone traded businesses cards and you could tell that they had blogs that were very high end. We were amazed when we checked out their blogs! We realized that while ours was “ok”, we have a long way to go!!! We are ok with our level and are excited to grow from what we learned.
- Less is more. We learned that we should not post everyday just to post. Instead, come up with a schedule and take extra time producing “higher quality” posts. We have decided to try and post every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
- We need to change the way we use social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest). We also want to figure out Vlogging (video blogging).
- We are switching from Blogger to WordPress because WordPress allows you to have more features and our blog will look more “polished”.
- For this next year (until we go back to Snap in 2016) we are not looking to make money (putting advertisements on our blog) but instead, just improving the quality.
- You do not have to be a blogger to attend SNAP. It was like a big Pinterest Conference. We spent most of our time crafting, sewing, meeting new people, and learning about new products. Several of our friends have decided they want to come with us next year to have fun!!!
Thanks so much to everyone who has been so very supportive in our creative endeavor! We are having a blast and hope everyone keeps reading our blog! We appreciate it and are always looking for feedback and constructive suggestions!