UntitledThis past weekend we were at my in-laws celebrating the many birthdays we have in the family for August.  My sister-in-law, Jen, has a small dog named Macy. A grape fell on the floor and Macy immediately ate it.  A few seconds later, my daughter Abbey said to Jen, “I think that grapes can really hurt dogs.”

1463977_10152045384732812_297178858_nJen immediately googled “dogs and grapes” and was shocked (as we all were) to see that grapes and raisins can be very toxic for dogs.  Apparently these food items can cause kidney failure in dogs.

81eb15a9-deb2-4dff-87f7-f5125330b20f

Jen called an emergency vet and was told to get the small dog immediately to the vet’s office.  My in-laws gave Jen some hydrogen peroxide to feed to Macy.  The hydrogen peroxide is used to make the dog throw up.  On the way to the vet, Macy threw up the grape.  Jen and Tom headed back to the house relieved that the grape was no longer in Macy.

heroWe were shocked that grapes and raisins can be so toxic for dogs.  I know that Charlotte likes to throw food on the ground so we will be careful with these foods.  

If you want to read more about this, go to the VCAHospital’s website

What are some other foods that can be toxic for dogs?

Onions, chocolate, cocoa, macadamia nuts, avocados and foods containing the sweetener xylitol can also be fatal.

Jen and Tom are thankful that Abbey was there to tell them that she thought grapes were dangerous for dogs.

11872767_10206626303592992_1222719053_nMy question for you is this: Did you know this?

 

%d bloggers like this: