This past weekend we were at my in-laws celebrating the many birthdays we have in the family for August. My sister-in-law, Jen, has a small dog named Macy. A grape fell on the floor and Macy immediately ate it. A few seconds later, my daughter Abbey said to Jen, “I think that grapes can really hurt dogs.”
Jen called an emergency vet and was told to get the small dog immediately to the vet’s office. My in-laws gave Jen some hydrogen peroxide to feed to Macy. The hydrogen peroxide is used to make the dog throw up. On the way to the vet, Macy threw up the grape. Jen and Tom headed back to the house relieved that the grape was no longer in Macy.
If you want to read more about this, go to the VCAHospital’s website
What are some other foods that can be toxic for dogs?
Onions, chocolate, cocoa, macadamia nuts, avocados and foods containing the sweetener xylitol can also be fatal.
Jen and Tom are thankful that Abbey was there to tell them that she thought grapes were dangerous for dogs.