Do you ever feel that you are in a hair rut? You always have the same “do” and when you don’t take the time to fix it, you throw it into a ponytail? Why do some ladies always look so put together and you look like you need to brush your hair for the 100th time that day?
Have no fear, our friend Liz is here to save the day!!!!
Liz is a professional makeup artist and hair stystlist who has been very generous with helping lots of us with make up and hair tips. (She came to my house for a makeup tutorial!) Our friend Laura asked Liz if she could organize a small playdate and have Liz come teach the moms a few hair tricks to up our game.
The consensus was that we would like help in 2 main areas:
- Using a curling iron or flat iron to create curls or “cool” waves
- Creating a “cute” ponytail
Liz brought her tools and told us to bring our flat irons and curling irons. The idea was that she would give us a quick tutorial using her own hair and then show us how to use our own equipment. She would curl half of our hair and then have us practice on the other half.
Here are some of the lessons that we all learned!!!!
- Start by lightly spraying your hair with hairspray (Liz recommends TRESemme: TRES TWO SPRAY extra hold – around $5.00)
- Next, wrap the hair around your heating device. ****Do not roll under, but over!!!! This is something we did not realize we were doing wrong. Your natural instinct is to roll under with your heating device, but you should do the opposite! Also ***Do not spray your hair with hairspray while it is on the hot iron.
- Unwind the hair and then take a small comb to tease the top under of the curl.
- Finally, spray with a light hairspray (Liz recommends Big Sexy Hair- around $15.00).
Wisps/ Shorter Hairs/ Short Hair
All of us were in AWE with the BaByliss Pro Nano Titanium Mini Flat Iron. Who knew they had a small tool that would help with this smaller pieces of hair that can not be contained! Also, if you have shorter hair, this is the perfect tool! You can purchase it on Amazon for $29.99. I was so excited by this product that I ordered it during the play date!!!! If you read the Amazon reviews, people rave over this project. They say that they use it for travel, it is a great gift because not a lot of people know about it, and it works just as well as the $150-$300 flat irons. Everyone at the playdate (long and short hair) could not get over how awesome this tool was!
The Perfect Ponytail
- The key to a pony tail is the TEASING COMB (3 rows of bristles..you can find them for a couple of dollars at Sally Beauty Supply).
- Tease the back, and the sides and then pull back.
- Spray with Big Sexy Hair Spray
Flat irons/ Curling Irons
- Liz said that you can do any of these modern, chic looks using the tools you already have at home.
- I am still LOVING my new flatiron (BaByliss Pro Nano Titanium Prima3000 Ionic Straightener ). I love that it gets HOT (Liz says you should never use more than around 420 degrees….mine goes to 465). I also love that it has a curve so that I can curl it under or use it as a curling iron.
- If you are afraid of burning your hands while using these hot tools, they have special gloves to protect your hands (mine came with a pair).
- Liz has a cool Paul Mitchell Pro Tool Express Ion Unclipped 3-1 styling iron ($78.64) that has 3 interchangeable wands so that you get different size curls.
So there you have it, easy tips for making your hair look a bit more glamourous.
Here are some videos from the tutorial!!!.
Our question for you, what is your favorite hair tip, product, or hair do?